OceanaGold is committed to responsible environmental management across all our business activities.
This encompasses the conservation of designated protected areas, sharing information and practices on biodiversity management, and supporting, developing, and implementing inclusive and transparent procedures for integrated land use.
In 2018 we commenced a review of our environmental management systems, including our environmental governance structure. During this review we identified opportunities to better-align with leading global environmental management practice that would lay the foundation for continued sustainable growth.
OceanaGold Environmental Policy is aligned with six Statements of Position that detail how we managed our Environmental Material Risk areas of water, closure, biodiversity, cyanide, tailings management and energy and greenhouse gas. These Statements of Position publicly commit OceanaGold to specific actions and review in each area, and align our standards to ICMM, WGC and IFC requirements. These were introduced in 2019 alongside improved environmental auditing systems across our operations and the progression of INX InViron software for environmental data management and reporting.
In 2020 we released an updated statement of position on climate change, energy use and greenhouse gas, with a goal to achieve net zero greenhouse emissions from our operations by 2050.
Our commitment to responsible environmental management will be achieved through the implementation of a management system and structure focused on:
- Complying with all host country environmental laws as a minimum;
- Implementing effective environmental management systems and standards across OceanaGold aligned with ISO14001:2015 and other Internationally accepted Standards and Conventions;
- The identification, elimination and management of environmental impacts due to our activities, products and services;
- Establishing measurable environmental objectives and targets that focus on key areas to minimise, mitigate or offset our environmental impacts including; The protection of biodiversity and integrated approaches to land use;
- Ensuring adequate resources for effective mine closure to meet post mining land use and closure requirements;
- Climate change and responsible use of energy and resources;
- Water management;
- The provision of safe transport, storage and disposal of all chemicals (including cyanide), residual waste and process residues (tailings);
- Providing all necessary training, education, equipment, information and opportunities for participation to our employees and contractors to ensure greater environmental performance associated with our Business activities; and
- Continuously reviewing and improving our environmental management system and performance.
We require and expect the cooperation of employees, contractors, and visitors to:
- Report all environmental hazards and incidents and undertake the corrective actions identified;
- Comply with all policies, standards, and procedures relevant to the work environment; and
- Observe and support good environmental practice within our workplace.
These commitments underpin OceanaGold’s Vision and Values, are integral to all aspects of our business, are endorsed by the Board of Directors, and promoted and championed by the Executive Committee.
Statements of Position
OceanaGold is committed to responsible mining that leaves a positive legacy every day. This includes managing impacts and opportunities at the earliest stages of mine planning. In 2019 we launched six Environmental Statements of Position for water, closure, biodiversity, cyanide, tailings management and energy and greenhouse gas. These statements build on the approach outlined in the OceanaGold Environmental Policy and provide further detail on how OceanaGold manages each of its Environmental Material Risk areas.
- Water management
- Closure and rehabilitation management
- Biodiversity management
- Tailing storage facility management
- Cyanide management
- Climate change, energy use and greenhouse gas
We comply with the environmental laws of all host countries and go beyond these to implement company-wide environmental processes that are consistent with internationally accepted standards and conventions. In doing so, we provide the necessary training, education, equipment and information to our employees and contractors to support their implementation.
Our environmental standards are audited annually on a rotating basis. This provides a consistent approach to environmental management across our operations and drives continual learnings and improvement. Furthermore, each operation has environmental management plans in place to address key environmental risk areas and these are reviewed annually.
These standards build on the approach outlined in the OceanaGold Environmental Policy and Statements of Position and provide further detail on the following areas.
Environmental Material Risk standards
Climate Change, Energy Use and Greenhouse Gas
Biodiversity and Natural Environments
Closure and Rehabilitation Management
Hazardous Materials and Chemical Substances
Operational environmental standards
Environmental Noise, Vibration, Light and Dust
Cultural and Heritage Sites