Modern mining in Waihi

As the gold price rose in the 1970s, interest grew in the old Martha Mine at Waihi, which had been closed since 1952. Prospecting commenced in 1979 and in July 1987 construction of the new open pit Martha Mine began. The first gold pour followed less than a year later, and by the end of 1988 the first tonne of bullion had been poured.

In 1999 work on the Martha Mine Extended Project began. Upgraded crushing, conveying, and processing equipment was installed, and a new Water Treatment Plant commissioned. This project would extend mine life to 2007.

The one millionth ounce of gold was poured in 2000, and then in 2004 the Favona underground portal was built. Waihi mining was once again heading underground.

The Cornish Pumphouse was moved in 2006 and the Martha open pit expanded to the south, extending the life of the open pit. In 2012 operations began at the Trio underground mine, and two years later the Correnso underground mine commenced operation.

In 2015 OceanaGold purchased the Waihi operation. The mine now has a life well into the next decade, with plans for the Martha open pit, underground, and further afield at Wharekirauponga to the north of the town.

Celebrating 30
Celebrating 30
A golden future full of opportunity for Haile
A golden future full of opportunity for Haile
The best is yet to come at Waihi
The best is yet to come at Waihi
OceanaGold